ALL Done....and For Sale !!! ( WHAT????)

Well, it's been a whole year since my last update, and tons have happened for me. For one, I finished the camper!!!  I had a million little things to complete, but got her done around June of this year.  What a transformation!  I must say that I am so very proud of myself for completing this project.  What started out as a simple "I'll just spruce her up a bit" turned into a complete frame-up restoration...who woulda thought I could do that myself??  Surely not me. But...with the help of many others, (including the Vintage Trailer Forum, Mobiltec's online classes and continual help, UJT, my Mom and my brothers) I have succeeded.  My little Shasta looks brand new while still retaining so much original items that it is a beauty for sure.  I am so proud !!!




In August, I planned to take her out West for its first trip to visit my son in Colorado. I truly was ok with going it alone- and knew it would be an adventure in my vintage camper.  As the date of departure came near- I decided to invite my ex-husband along as I knew he would be a good travel partner and that he really wanted to see our son as well.  I knew traveling with him might be a challenge, but perhaps we could heal old wounds and bury grudges that were created 26 years ago. 
He said YES after some thought- and away we went.


We left PA on August 3rd  and arrived in Colorado on August 5th.  The camper towed like a charm- and Mike drove the whole way so that was nice !!!
Along the way, we talked a ton. 
We definitely healed old wounds and really re-connected in a way that we had not done 
in 25+ years since out divorce.  
It seemed that this trip was going to be something special for sure.

We camped in the Shasta with our son for 10 days beneath the Collegiate Peaks in Colorado. We parked her on BLM land within feet of a beautiful creek and in the middle of the woods.  Getting her back to our site was a bit harrowing ( I had our son drive her in) but once parked- she looked just beautiful. 




Our 10 days were filled with lots of fishing, great food ( the guys LOVE to cook over the fire), great talks, laughs, and fun with our 3 dogs. Mike Sr and Jr took a few long hikes together, while I stayed back to read, organize and clean-up a bit (boy are the guys appreciating that part of me!), and just chill in the peaceful surroundings. It was a truly healing trip for us all for sure.




After our 10 days together we dropped our son back in Boulder so that he could get back to work and school.  Mike Sr. and I proceeded to head out to explore a little as I did not have to get back to work for a few weeks. 

Over the next 3 weeks, we visited a number of incredibly beautiful places. The Shasta (still no name:) did so well- all the systems worked great and we really got the hang of living in her quite quickly. She was plenty roomy enough for us and our 2 dogs and provided us with a great shelter and home away from home. And she looked great too!!!  We got lots of compliments and met lots of people who wanted to check her out.  "I did it myself"- Really???





Well, as some have thought would happen, during this time, my ex and I rekindled our love for each other.  Let's suffice it to say that this trip was LIFE CHANGING for sure.  We are together once again, and looking forward to a future together.

During this 4 week maiden voyage with my camper, I realized something important: I prefer a drive-able camper vs towing one. WOW huh?   I just really loved my Class C- and having to tow the Shasta made me realize how much I miss that kind of rig.

So.....upon arrival home, I did a few things:

I retired from my job of 30 years !!!

I moved from my home with my mom up to my cabin in the Poconos

I ordered a NEW 2021 Ram Promaster Van

I booked a build with a Van Conversion company in Phila for April of 2021.

I put the Shasta up for sale.

I continue to be IN LOVE with my Ex Husband and we are going strong !


Converted van life next..... LOL



Comments

  1. Hello, have you sold the camper or is it still up for sale? If it is do you have a link to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story! Wishing you all the best for what life has in store. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment