I took the plunge!

Well, January is here, 
and things have slowed down for sure.

The BIG news is that I actually took the 
big PLUNGE 
and bought
ALL NEW METAL SKINS!
In looking at all the panels that needed to be replaced, 
I decided to just go ahead and replace them all.
They were not cheap- (gulp)
as they were delivered from California-
but I think it will be worth it in the end!
And heck....what else do I work for, huh?

Kudos to my brother Larry who helped in the delivery.
The 2 heavy boxes were 15' and 8' long-
no way I was able to help unload them here.

He had them delivered to his work, and then
he set up their delivery here.
Thanks, brother :)

They now have to sit in the garage until the weather is warmer
(Sure hope mom doesn't run into them- 
she has tons of dents in her car from running into various things).

I'm so bummed- but the metal needs to be put on
when then temperature is 80 or above.
If I put it on now, when it gets hot, the metal will expand
and cause all kinds of problems.
Don't want that- and so we wait.....

Here's an update on things that HAVE been completed:

** Cleaning up Chrome fixtures
I've been working at cleaning up some of the exterior fixtures-
door handle, license plate light, and emblems. 
They are chromed- but to re-chrome them was just too much $$.
So, I decided to paint.
First, my brother Jim cleaned them up with his glass parts cleaner.
Took off the dirt and rust,
 however it did nothing for the heavy pitting in the metal.



I decided to try and patch the pits with body filler used in auto body work.
I started with the door handle-
which will eventually have a light in it.
It took some time, 
as I had to apply a few thin layers of Glazing Putty
and then sand between each layer.
 
Filler, sand, primer, and chrome colored paint... 
and here's the result:



It turned out really nice.
Not perfect- but that's ok.
Definitely looks better than before!
On to the few other items.

***I have lights!!
My friend John, from the Poconos, kindly offered 
his help with my electric 
(the 2 guys I had lined up did not work out- GRRRR).
John's the kind of guy that can fix just about anything-
amazes me for sure !
He spent an entire day shopping for supplies,
fixing some of my wiring,
and installing my convertor-

and at then end of the day- 
the 12v side of things was complete, 
with the 110v side almost there.
I am so excited !!
It was pure happiness when I hit the 12v switch 
and we had LIGHTS!!
Yahooooo!!!!
THANKS JOHNNY !!!!

The electric has been a daunting task for me- 
as I know NOTHING about it.
 (well, I have learned a few things.)
Thankfully John is incredibly handy, 
and kind enough to help me out.
I told him he's in on a trip when she's done -for sure!

*** Gaucho bed's getting there!
I bought 4" foam for the Gaucho bed- 
50% off at Joann's Fabric!
I also bought a 2" topper- to make the mattress 6" total.
Should be comfy !
I measured and cut the 3 cushions to size, 
then glued the 2 layers of each together-


Mom and I also picked out a really nice fabric- 
Joann's coupon again!

She was not thrilled about the job of sewing the cushion covers-
but was willing to try.
She knows how to sew really well-
but that job was going to be kinda tough.

She tried the first cushion- 
but was pulling her hair out when she ran into problems.

Luckily, a friend's mom I know does upholstery-
so she is currently finishing the job for me.
Can't wait to see them when they are done :)
(Thanks for trying Mama!)

** And a few other little things:

There are many little things still needing to be done- 
and I pick away at them when I can.
Installing an outlet in the rear storage compartment.

Adding a switch to my 110v light circuit- 
which meant removing my wiring that was completed
due to the need for a different type of wire.
(Shoulda thought of a switch before Kathy!!)


Cutting off the rear bumper-
as it's rusted and needs to be replaced.
( Got tired of waiting for Mike to do this-
so I pulled out the sawzall and did it myself!)
BAM!!


And finishing up the rear framing at the bottom.  
Easy to get to now with the bumper off !


SO...for now...still getting things done.
Once electric is all done- I can add the wrap 
and she will be ready for her new skins.

Oh- 80 degree weather- please come soon!

Carry on.....











  







Comments