99.9% ....thanks to a Pandemic.

So, the world is in chaos-
scary times for sure.
I have at least the next 2 weeks off- 
although I fear it will be much longer.
SO....I am going full steam ahead
after taking the winter off to 
GET "ER DONE!!!

Here's the latest update:

Awning and J Rail
The entire seam where the roof metal 
meets the sides is covered by an aluminum
awning rail or by what's called J Rail.

The awning rail holds...the awning material of course.
J Rail is basically like a rain gutter. 

Installing it was quite a job-
as it comes in straight 8' pieces 
but needs to conform
to the shape of my camper.

Starting at the bottom,
I put one screw in, bent the metal to the shape ahead, 
and then added the next screw.
Did I mention there are HUNDREDS 
of screws holding these pieces on?
AND...this is just the fitting.

After it is all fit- 
I then had to take all the screws out, 
add putty tape to the back, and reinstall.
Not easy to do with 8 ' pieces-
but I got it done!



Really makes her shine !


Closet Shelving

My closet was just a hole- 
so I decided to add shelves for better storage.
I had to configure things a little-
but not too hard once I had the wood all cut.
Think it turned out nice :)

               

Bathroom Vent pipe

I added a vent pipe in the bathroom,
and capped it with this cool vent cap on the roof.


Propane

This is the last system I needed to install
And to tell the truth-
it seemed a very daunting task.
But I decided to finally hunker down. 
I did my research - reading the forum and watching videos,
and got to work.

I needed to buy 3/8" copper tubing and fittings.
From there, I went to work under the trailer
figuring out how to get the tubing from the front tank
to all the appliances in the camper.
(Stove, refrig, heater and gas lamp).

Crawling under the camper was a bear- 
but luckily this old body was able to do it- again and again

My brother Jim showed me how to use the flaring tool-
as each junction needs the tube ends flared.
He reminded me a few times:
"DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE NUT ON BEFORE FLARING",
as you can't get one on once flared.
You guessed it- lots of recutting completed flares after realizing
I forgot the nut.
Oh well- thankfully I had enough copper for my screw ups!
  
Also, I needed to bend the copper to conform to the areas needed.
Again, Jim showed me how to do this with a bending tool
also as not to crimp the copper ( it is quite soft).
Pretty cool how it works!

From underneath the camper, I made holes in the floor (GULP!)
and ran the copper up through the floor.
From there- a junction, some more bends, and viola! 
All the appliances were connected!

I covered all the lines under the camper to protect it, 
then installed some heavy duty clamps to keep it in place.
Think it looks really good !

Took me about 3 whole days- but I am 
SO FREAKING GLAD it's done!!!

Now, when my last fittings arrive ( I had to order from Amazon), 
I will test it out to see if (and where) it leaks
using a soapy solution.
I am sure I will need to tighten it all up-
but it's done!

Doors
The doors were quite a job-
as both the screen and exterior door were not closing well.
The trailer is definitely not square- 
so much figuring was needed to get them to close.

I had both my brothers Tom and Larry problem solve-
and with lots of trial and error, some grinding and bending,
and some cursing very loudly...
I installed the door hinge
door latches, and finally got them both to close.
Door are a bitch for sure :)


Water inlet

Ahhh, another daunting task:
How to connect the original water inlet.
This one was a puzzle for sure-
as the connector was not sitting tightly 
through the hole I made in the wall.
Thanks again to a brother's help (what would I do without them:)
he had a great solution which worked !!
She's in- and it looks so cool!!!
And now it's on to the little things:

*Hanging all the awesome window curtains my mom made
THANKS MOM !!!
(She's currently sewing the tie backs-
glad I can keep her busy while under house arrest).

  
*Using a pop rivet gun to install the original 
exterior signs:
(I love the little things)
                

*Creating a wood backing for the gas light-
as this original design wasn't cutting it for me :)


(What would I do without a cabinetmaker brother 
and his shop 25 feet away in his shop?)



*Making a front piece for the shelf under the sink-
so all the things stored there do not fall out while driving.


*One of the coolest things yet -
 I bought a 1960 radio on ebay, took the guts out,
installed a blue tooth speaker-
and can now connect it to my phone for tunes!!
I LOVE how it looks in the camper!!



*installing the vintage spice rack 
(another ebay find :)

*Putting new contact paper in my drawers:



***Oh, and how could I forget...
we installed one WING!!!
Larry helped mount the curb side wing...
he's been dying to see them up! Ha ha
Doesn't it just look soooo cool!!
Love it !!!

Nothing says a Shasta camper like the iconic 
Shasta wing :)


My list is almost done...
just a few things I need my brother Jim to help with...
and this baby will be 
D - O - N - E!!
Just can't believe it.

Still thinking of a name....
I've narrowed it down to 
BOBBY JEAN
or
CORONA....
hahaha

Stay tuned :)












Comments